The Queen's Medical Center, located in downtown Honolulu, Hawaiʻi, is a private, non-profit, acute medical care facility. It is the largest private hospital in Hawaiʻi, licensed to operate with 505 acute care beds and 28 sub-acute beds. The medical center has more than 3,000 employees and over 1,200 physicians on staff.
As the leading medical referral center in the Pacific Basin, Queen's offers a comprehensive range of primary and specialized care services. Queen's is accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations (JCAHO) and affiliated with VHA Inc., the national health care alliance. The medical center is also approved to participate in residency training by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.
To fulfill the intent of Queen Emma and King Kamehameha IV to provide in perpetuity quality health care services to improve the well-being of Native Hawaiians and all of the people of Hawaiʻi.
A Brief History:
The Queen's Hospital, now called The Queen's Medical Center, was founded in 1859 by Queen Emma and King Kamehameha IV.
In King Kamehameha IV's initial speech to the legislature in 1854, the King voiced his desire to create a hospital for the people of Hawaiʻi. At that time, the continued existence of the Hawaiian race was seriously threatened by the influx of disease brought to the islands by foreign visitors. Queen Emma enthusiastically supported the dream of a hospital, and the two campaigned tirelessly to make it a reality. They personally went door-to-door soliciting the necessary funding. The royal couple exceeded their goal in just over a month, raising $13,530. In turn, the Legislature appropriated $6,000.
Through six generations, The Queen's Medical Center has become a major provider of health care to the people of our State and a part of the cultural fabric of Hawaiʻi.